Insurance Underwriter Resume
An insurance underwriter decides on which insurance applications should be accepted and which should be turned down. An insurance underwriter resume therefore needs to reflect their particular skill set, experience and achievements.
Your resume needs to show how you have maximised premiums, minimised losses and helped the insurance company make a profit.
You will have to show how you have assessed the likely risks, including weighing up the possible risk factors and the likelihood that the client will make a claim. Below we have identified the sort of information that you may want to include in an insurance underwriter resume, including the profile, achievements and experience sections of your resume. You should also include details of your education and qualifications.
Profile for an Insurance Underwriter Resume
- Summarise, in a profile section at the beginning of your resume, your work experience, key skills, qualifications and relevant personal characteristics in two or three punchy sentences, designed to hook the reader in and make them read on with interest.
- Highlight the amount of relevant experience you have, your particular specialisation within insurance underwriting, the range of clients with which you have worked and your successful track record with respected / blue chip / specialist employers, as appropriate.
- Draw attention to any successes that would make your resume especially attractive to potential employers and to other relevant information such as an educational background in statistics, mathematics, finance or economics.
- Summarise the skills and talents on your resume that make you particularly good at what you do, which might include some of the following: highly developed research and analytical skills, strong problem-solving skills, the ability to develop creative and practical solutions, or being an effective and confident negotiator.
- Highlight your most relevant personal qualities, e.g. decisiveness, the ability to work to tight deadlines, a keen attention to detail, the ability to communicate complex information effectively, highly developed interpersonal and relationship building skills, or the ability to inspire trust in clients and colleagues alike.
- Indicate your career ambitions on your insurance underwriter resume, e.g. the desire to move to a larger organisation, gain exposure to greater or more complex risks, operate at a more senior level, further develop a particular specialisation, or move into another area of insurance, such as claims, sales, broking or loss adjusting.
Achievements on an Insurance Underwriter Resume
- As well as highlighting your key responsibilities in your current and previous roles as an insurance underwriter, your resume should include a bullet point summary of the key achievements you feel are most relevant to the type of role or organisation you are targeting.
- Your achievement summary on your insurance underwriter resume should emphasise the positive financial results of any decisions, initiatives or projects undertaken, to provide evidence of your commercial awareness and to give the reader a clear picture of your personal contribution within the wider context of your team and firm.
- Areas to highlight might include your successful track record of minimising losses and contributing towards your company returning a profit, involvement in more complex work such as underwriting an entire business portfolio, or the initiation of any innovative methods to reduce risk exposure.
- You might also refer to the speed of your career progression, if this has been particularly rapid.
- Summarise on your insurance underwriter resume, again in bullet point form, the most significant and relevant aspects of your background, focusing primarily on your more recent and more senior roles, with a shorter summary of any earlier work experience.
- Give details of your experience in all key areas of the underwriting role, clearly indicating the scale of risk, type of client and level of seniority / degree of autonomy with which you operate.
- Summarise your daily role, e.g. assessing a variety of insurance proposals, calculating possible risk, determining appropriate premiums, visiting brokers and customers, liaising with specialists, negotiating terms with policyholders or their brokers, and preparing and writing insurance policies.
- Emphasise in particular on your resume those aspects that expose you to more complex risk assessment and bring you into contact with a range of external parties, which will highlight your ability to build relationships and communicate / negotiate effectively with a variety of different audiences.
- Be sure that your resume reflects an appropriate balance between the detail of your day-to-day responsibilities and your wider involvement in / awareness of any industry or legal developments that impact on your role and particular marketplace.
- Indicate too any significant training or development you have undertaken to develop your skills base and market / financial knowledge as an insurance underwriter.
Do You Need to Improve Your Insurance Underwriter Resume?
- When it comes to resume / CV writing, do you know how to sell yourself to employers and do you know what information you have to include on your insurance underwriter resume to make them what to interview you?
- If you need some help, then the CV writers at Bradley CVs can devise a superior resume / CV for you that will positively encourage employers to ask you to insurance underwriter job interviews.
Information / general articles:
- UK / European CV service - improve your CV/resume, get more interviews
- US / Canadian Resume service
- FREE Report: Is your resume letting you down?: How to dramatically improve your resume
- How to make a resume - free tips on improving your resume
- Resume distribution to 1000's of employers - save time by getting employers to contact you
- Cover letters
- Resume examples
- Resume buzzwords or keywords
- Sample resume objectives - what is a resume objective for?
- Resume reason for leaving - should you include reasons for leaving on your resume?
- Explaining gap in resume
- More articles on resume writing
Sector specific articles:
- Sample teacher resumes
- Resume for Information Systems Officer
- Special Event Coordinator Resume
- Aerospace resume
- Free resume outline - outline of a resume
- Resume for a teacher's assistant
- Insurance underwriter resume
- Preschool teacher resume / kindergarten teacher resume
- Elementary Teacher Resume Samples
- Middle or Secondary School Teacher Resume
- Outline to make a Resume - resume outline example
- IT Developer Resume / CV
- Consultant Resume / CV
- Project Manager Resume / CV
- Event Planner Resume
- Teacher Resume Templates