Checklist to ask a resume service:
The questions below should help you uncover what type of resume service you are talking to.
You ideally want a resume service that has many years experience, rather than a resume service that has very limited experience.
- What background does the person who will be preparing your resume come from? (You want to find out if they were previously just in word-processing / administration or whether they have a background in recruitment and copywriting.)
- How long has the resume service been producing resumes? (Ideally you want a company / resume writer with at least 5 years experience - rather than a company / resume writer with little experience of actually writing resumes.)
- Is a telephone consultation included in the price? Will this be with someone who has professional interviewing experience? How long is the consultation? (Ideally you want at least a half hour consultation with someone with professional interviewing experience.)
- Is the resume service a member of a professional body? If not, why not? (Have they really got any recruitment experience? If they are not a member of a professional body you may have little legal protection if something goes wrong with the production of your resume.)
- Can you show me an example of a resume you have prepared? (If they will not show you an example resume, steer well clear!) Does the resume look well presented or are they using a very dated layout? (Some services use layouts that are 10+ years out-of-date!) Does the resume have a profile / summary at the top of the first page? Is there a list of major achievements under the profile / summary section? Does the resume demonstrate any copywriting skills?
- What results has the company / resume writer had? Can I see some testimonials? (You want to find out whether they can actually produce resumes that get their clients interviews.)
- Bradley CVs - Professional CV / Resume Service (includes prices)
- What types of resume service are there?
- Checklist of questions to ask a resume service
- FREE Report: Is your resume letting you down?: How to dramatically improve your resume
- Free resume writing tips
- Resume distribution - send your resume to 1000's of recruiters at one go - click here to learn more
- Example resumes
- Cover letters
- US / Canadian resume services
- Resume services in other countries